Saturday, February 19, 2011

Norway is Ecstatic

After the draw on Friday night, the unanimous reaction from every Norway player was "This could not have turned out any better." Getting placed in Group B with ROI, England, Serbia, Sierra Leone, and Portugal is like getting handed a golden ticket to the 2011 playoffs.

The big team in Group B is obviously ROI, but its also the team that Norway has played the best against in the past. I wrote this last year, but here's a refresher, "Norway has never lost to ROI in the WCP Cup." That includes the 2007 final. Obviously both teams have changed a lot since then, but I'm still confident we can make it extremely interesting.

For the other teams, I'm only slightly worried about Serbia because I know they have some decent players who can break a game open. Otherwise England should be pretty easy, Sierra Leone is new and experience definitely makes a difference, and Portugal is losing its two best players - more on that later.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading Braden's comments; I just really hope that ROI can pump Norway. Braden loves to quote the past, especially that 2007 campaign which we are now 4 years removed from. If ROI thumps Norway I can't wait to hear what excuse Braden can muster up. Yet at the at the same time I am excited to see that game to see which time is for real and which team is just blowing smoke as ROI is going to be dangerous with their new recruits.

Anonymous said...

This is true, Braden does like to talk about the 1 victory they have against ROI and they have only played them once. Although it is technically undefeated it sounds like crap to me. You need to spin that differently Braden nobody takes it serious when you say that, seeing as you lost some players since. Maybe just say that it will be a good game, because you want to increase your victories to 2-0 against ROI and they want to pump you for beating them.

Playmaker said...

Played them twice. Also played them in 2006 to a 1-1 draw. Played them in 2008 in an exhibition and prevailed, but I don't count that one. So record against ROI is 1-0-1. Don't think any other team could say that against them.

Anonymous said...

I think Laos is 1-1

Anonymous said...

Does Norway have the same roster as last year?

Playmaker said...

Pretty much the same. A few new players, a few players leaving. Once it's finalized - very close - I will post it up.

Anonymous said...

I think the key dates in Braden's defense is 2006 and 2008, an exhibition that he doesn't "count" yet is quick to mention.
2006 is 5 years removed from the present day squad Ireland is boasting... I really hope that these meaningless stats are a contributing factor in the match.

I am actually cheering for a BLOW OUT by ROI, yet I'll give Norway some respect and say that it should be a contested match yet ROI will come out as the winners... yet I am still hoping for a BLOW OUT as I can't wait to hear Braden's analysis on the match.

-The Infamous One