While the tournament is still fresh in everyone's minds, let's try and figure out what can be changed in future years. I'll get the ball rolling with a few suggestions but I encourage everyone to throw around ideas and I'll do my best to get them to Kevin. Give a good explanation of why the change is needed.
1. Eliminate +/- as a tie-breaker, or at least put a cap on goal difference per game. This current rule means that good teams have incentive to destroy weak teams and nobody really wants to see that. I can't fault Germany and Jamaica for crushing Scotland - but I want to.
2. Make sure all of the groups have equal teams. Group A was unfair for the winning teams (easier) and the losing teams (only four games instead of five). If you need to cut three teams to make the tourny total 20 then do it. Otherwise go with the full 24.
3. Cut out the anthems. Or maybe find versions that aren't the slowest thing available (I was shocked at the choice of the sleep-inducing Canadian anthem). Once for the first game is good, then only do it for playoffs. So much time listening to music - often to the detriment of the just-finished warm-up.
4. Do not expand the youth or women's divisions any further. The product is already watered down - don't make it worse. Actually, to go back to point #2, cut the men's back to 20 teams.
5. Lower the cost of the tournament pass. $75 is way too much to pay for something that is good - but not great. It's exploitation of the youth teams' relatives who don't really have a choice but to come and watch their kids run around. Also unfair for the women's teams' fans that only played THREE games.
5.1 If you're going to charge $75 then at least make it usable for the final day. Paying $10 per person for the final EVEN IF they had a tourny pass is BS.
Let's hear some more.....